Mother Nature treated us to incredible weather conditions for this year’s Niagara Falls Barrelman Triathlon, presented by Recharge with Milk.
We were thrilled to offer the new swim start at the Welland International Flatwater Centre, and by all accounts, it seems that you and your supporters were happy about it too.
Kitchener’s Alex VanderLinden, a member of the Recharge With Milk Ambassador Team, led the swim (27:18) and was first onto the 90 km bike course. Ottawa’s Jonathan Slaney and Jordan Monnink leading the chase, both just under 1 minute behind.
Focused and feeling great, VanderLinden’s day came to an unfortunate end when he crashed into a police vehicle at 35 km into the bike course.
With VanderLinden out of the race, Monnink rode into T2 in first, and started the run with a 2:09 lead over Andrew Drobeck, a firefighter from Missoula, Montana, Toronto’s Mikael Staer Nathan followed in third.
With Monnink fading, Drobeck’s race best half marathon (1:18:01) allowed him to take over the lead during the second lap of the run, and the overall victory in 4:04:39. Monnink finished second (4:08:41), and Toronto’s Daniel Clarke secured third (4:18:49).
Niagara Falls Barrelman Triathlon (2 km swim, 90 km bike, 21.1 km run) – Top 5 Men
1. Andrew Drobeck (Missoula, Montana) 4:04:39
2. Jordan Monnink (Ottawa, ON) 4:08:41
3. Daniel Clarke (Toronto, ON) 4:18:49
4. Adrian Lawson (Fergus, ON) 4:19:01
5. Mikael Staer Nathan (Toronto, ON) 4:19:32
Newmarket’s Kristen Marchant, also a Recharge With Milk Ambassador Team member, defended her title from last year. Marchant clocked the fastest women’s bike (2:23:50), and run (1:30:26) to cross the finish line in 4:25:28. Burlington’s Cindy Lewis took second (4:43:05), just three seconds ahead of Montreal’s Jessica Murphy (4:43:08).
The Niagara Falls Barrelman was the last race in Triathlon Ontario’s Long Course Provincial Series for Age Groupers.
Niagara Falls Barrelman Triathlon (2 km swim, 90 km bike, 21.1 km run) – Top 5 Women
1. Kristen Marchant (Newmarket, ON) 4:25:28
2. Cindy Lewis (Burlington, ON) 4:43:05
3. Jessica Murphy (Montreal, QC) 4:43:08
4. Sheila Treleaven (Grimsby, ON) 4:44:44
5. Yolande Van Vuuren (Aurora, ON) 4:55:01
Toronto’s Hector Rodriguez swam 26:38, and biked 2:24:16 to take the overall win (2:52:28) in the Swim/Bike race. Waterford’s Melanie Nickou swam 28:19, and biked 2:50:13 to win the women’s race (3:21:13).
Niagara Falls Barrelman Swim/Bike (2 km swim, 90 km bike) – Top 5 Men
1. Hector Rodriguez (Toronto, ON) 2:52:28
2. Thom Burberry (London, ON) 3:05:07
3. Todd McCall (Courtice, ON) 3:08:46
4. Robert Perry (Burlington, ON) 3:13:11
5. Ryan Clendening (Paris, ON) 3:21:38
Niagara Falls Barrelman Swim/Bike (2 km swim, 90 km bike) – Top 5 Women
1. Melanie Nickou (Waterford, ON) 3:21:13
2. Irina Souiki (Brampton, ON) 3:32:46
3. Victoria Player (Belmont, QC) 3:35:01
4. Maureen Brook (Toronto, ON) 3:41:58
5. Rachel Lunam (Paris, ON) 3:43:26
London’s Brad Arndt rode 2:32:33, and ran 1:26:21 to finish first overall (4:01:29) in the Bike/Run race. Windsor’s Heather Pajot rode 3:06:45 and ran 1:52:40 to finish in 5:01:04 to take the women’s title.
Niagara Falls Barrelman Bike/Run (90 km bike, 21.1 km run) – Top 5 Men
1. Brad Arndt (London, ON) 4:01:29
2. Daryl Flacks (Windsor, ON) 4:05:58
3. Marcel Badertscher (Toronto, ON) 4:16:32
4. Shane Wickham (New Hamburg, ON) 4:25:48
5. Jeff Tsang (East York, ON) 4:34:33
Niagara Falls Barrelman Bike/Run (90 km bike, 21.1 km run) – Top 5 Women
1. Heather Pajot (Windsor, ON) 5:01:04
2. Vicki Mayberry (Ingersoll, ON) 5:21:18
3. Cheryl Singer (Windsor, ON) 5:36:42
4. Rebecca Kruisselbrink (Kitchener, ON) 5:36:58
5. Elaine Renault (Ancaster, ON) 5:46:01
Congratulations to our final finisher, Carol Hathaway.
Get the Full Barrelman Results.
Recharge With Milk – Our presenting sponsor
Recharge With Milk was on site with the Recovery Zone. This was the place to get some chocolate milk, some assorted Recharge With Milk swag, take a picture in the picture booth, or get in the recovery boots.
Race Reports from the Recharge With Milk Ambassador Team
Check out the Barrelman Race Reports from the Recharge With Milk Ambassador Team.
You did the race, now get the gear.
Celebrate your Barrelman experience and pick up some cool gear.
We Love Our Volunteers
We have an especially passionate and dedicated volunteer crew at the Barrelman Triathlon, thanks to the recruiting of Ron and Lynda Lemon. We thank all of them for all their hard work prior to, and on race day. We hope you thanked them too while out on the race course.
Race Coverage, Photos, Twitter & Facebook
Check out our Twitter feed or the
Barrelman Live page to relive the race day coverage.
Barrelman Photo Galleries are available on the MultiSport Canada Facebook Page.
Please support our sponsors. We could not do this without them.
|Run Course Sponsor||Timing Sponsor||Bike Course Sponsor|
|Nutrition Sponsor||Wetsuit Sponsor||Volunteer Sponsor|
Silver Level Sponsors
|Official Headwear||Eyewear & Rx Eyewear||Official Compression|
|Bike Trainer Sponsor||Official Wine||Official Beer Garden|
On Site Sponsors
Best Western Plus Rose City Suites
|Welland Accommodations Provider||Niagara Falls Accommodations Provider|
|The Tourism Partnership of Niagara|