Every Finisher will receive a Finishers Medal and a Headsweats Finishers Hat.
- For the Triathlon, medals will be awarded to the top 3 male and female athletes in each age group in 5 year increments.
- In the Swim/Bike and Bike/Run awards are for 39 and Under, 40 – 59 and 60+ for both male and female athletes.
- For Relays, the top 3 teams will be receive awards.
Is there a Prize Purse?
We offer a prize purse of $5,000 U.S.! The prize money will be awarded to the top 5 male and female finishers, whether Pro or Age Group.
The money will be allocated as follows
1st – $ 1,000
2nd – $ 750
3rd – $ 500
4th – $ 150
5th – $ 100
Why should I race in the Niagara Falls Barrelman?
Over the past 15+ years we have developed a reputation as a triathlon event management company that is 100% committed to the customer/athlete. Every race must be of top quality with values and philosophies that are important to a lot of us in the sport. Every race produced by MultiSport Canada is about you the participant. The Niagara Falls Barrelman has been designed to give you an incredible race experience. We also want your friends and family to have a great time on race weekend. Here are some of the things you can expect on race weekend.
- A beautiful race course designed to give you a first class race experience
- Great volunteers
- Fun for the whole family in Niagara Falls and the surrounding area
- Well stocked aid stations
What is the Minimum Age?
Athletes must be a minimum of 18 years old as of Dec 31st, on the same calendar year as the race.
How do I know that the course will be safe?
MultiSport Canada has a reputation and history of producing safe races, designed with the athlete race experience in mind.
Are there any other fees other than the race fee?
Race Day License Fee
There will be a $10 One Day License Fee for NON TriOnt (Triathlon Ontario) members. This includes Triathlon Ontario’s $7 non-member one day insurance fee. USAT members pay $10.
For Canadian athletes that are from out of province and are members of their home Provincial Governing Bodies, you can show your Triathlon Membership Card at registration to avoid being charged.
If you wish to park near the Finish Line and shuttle bus pick-up area there is a $10 in-and-out parking pass for the the Rapidsview Parking lot located 700m from the Finish line. Your friends or family can drive to Welland to see the start and then park at the Rapidsview lot to enjoy a day at the Falls. For more information visit the Niagara Parks website.
What if I want to change races?
If you have already registered for a race and need to change to another race we will do so with the following conditions.
- If there is a difference in race fees you will have to pay the difference + a $10 administration fee.
- No refunds will be issued if you are transferring to a lower priced race.
- No changes will be made after Monday of race week.
You can transfer a registration to another person until September 10, 2018 – The price of transferring an entry is $50 + HST.
The cost for deferral is $50 CAD.
- If you find you are unable to participate you may defer your race entry to the following season.
- The credit only covers the race fee. Triathlon Ontario one-day fees, processing fees, and online registration fees will not be included in your credit.
- The athlete’s entry slot is not guaranteed. Deferred athletes will not be allowed to register if the race closes before the athlete attempts to enter.
- You may defer your race entry until Monday of race week.
What is the refund policy?
Our refund policies were designed to be fair to everyone.
Refunds will only be granted for medical reasons. There will be 75% refunded 8 weeks prior to race, 50% refunded 6 weeks prior to race, 25% refunded up to 3 weeks prior to race. There will be no refunds for any reason within 3 weeks of any race.
No refunds if event is cancelled due to inclement weather.
What happens if the weather is bad? i.e. rain and/or lightning?
We will do whatever it takes to ensure that all races will go on but safety always comes first. Here is what may happen in the case of inclement weather.
In the event of light to moderate rain, and the absence of any lightning, our goal would be to proceed with the scheduled event as long as road conditions are safe, especially in the case of the bike course. If there is lightning in the area, the event may be placed on hold. The hold will be kept in place until we are certain that the weather has passed or has changed course and we will not be affected. If lightning is still in the area or a possibility we will consider canceling the swim and converting the race into a Duathlon run) or Bike/Run.
If after one hour of a weather hold all three portions of the event are determined to be unsafe, the event may be cancelled. The hold may be extended after taking into consideration other safety factors such as:
- Other scheduled events at the locations
- Increasing traffic on bike and run courses as the day progresses
- Paid duty police schedules
- EMS and medical support schedules
- Race venue permit limitations
With all of our events taking place outdoors, the weather conditions can play a big factor in every race. A large portion of the race fees collected have already been allocated and used by race day and as such there will be no refunds because of a weather cancellation. Registered participants will still receive their long sleeve shirt and race kit. Thank you for your understanding these policies.
There will be no refunds if it becomes necessary to cancel the swim due to low water temperature.
What is the rule on wearing a wetsuit?
Wetsuits will be allowed at all races where the water temperature is below 78F. For events where qualifying spots are being awarded the decision regards wetsuits will be made by the Triathlon Ontario Head Official at least 2hrs before the start of the event. For more info see the Triathlon Canada website.
What are the Top 10 Frequently Violated Rules with corresponding Triathlon Canada Competition Rule Numbers
- Swim Caps: A competitor must wear the swim cap provided by the race organization. (6.2.1)
- Helmets:a) helmets are compulsory and must be ANSI/SNELL approved (188.8.131.52.1) and b)) chin straps must be fastened anytime the athlete is in possession of the bicycle. This means that before the bike is removed from the rack, the chin strap must be fastened and remain fastened until the bike is placed back on the racks. (184.108.40.206) and (9.1.1)
- Bicycles: Riding of bicycles in the transition zone is strictly prohibited at all times. (9.1.6)
- Assistance: Competitors may not receive assistance at any time during the race, or in the transition zone. (This excludes medical or safety assistance given by designated race volunteers or qualified staff.) (220.127.116.11)
- Drafting: Drafting of another competitor or motor vehicle is prohibited on the bike course. (18.104.22.168) The draft zone surrounding each competitor measures 5 metres X 2 metres from the front edge of the front wheel. (22.214.171.124) Competitors have 15 seconds to pass through this zone when overtaking another athlete. (126.96.36.199)
- Blocking: Cyclists should keep to the right at all times, unless passing. Alert fellow cyclists of your intention to pass by saying, “on your left”. (188.8.131.52)
- Race Course: Competitors must follow the prescribed course route in all segments of the race as defined by the race organization. (184.108.40.206)
- Race Instructions: It is the Competitor’s responsibility to read all supplied information given in the race kits, posted at the race site and listen to verbal announcements given by the Race Director and Race Officials. (4.1.3) and (4.1.4)
- Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Verbal or physical abuse of officials and race volunteers is not acceptable or tolerated. (220.127.116.11)
- Torsos: All athletes must have their torsos covered on the bike (7.1.4) and run portions (8.1.3) of the event. Bib numbers must be visible on the bike and run courses. (18.104.22.168)
What do my race fees pay for?
- A professionally run top quality race that is FUN
- Police to close roads and give right of way at intersections
- Race venue fees
- Traffic control supplies such as barricades and cones
- Barrelman Shirts
- Finishers Hat
- Finishers Medal
- Portable Toilets
- Ambulance and staff
- Medical personnel including Paramedics
- Truck Rentals
- Post Race Food
- Triathlon Ontario Officials
- Triathlon Ontario Sanctioning Fee
- Race Day Insurance
- Race Numbers
- Swim Caps
- Timing Officials
- Race staff and crew
- Accommodations for crew and staff