What COVID-19 precautions will there be in 2022?
Please see link to our COVID-19 faqs here
Every Finisher will receive a Finishers Medal and a Headsweats Finishers Hat.
- For the Triathlon, medals will be awarded to the top 3 male and female athletes in each age group in 5 year increments.
- In the Swim/Bike and Bike/Run awards are for 39 and Under, 40 – 59 and 60+ for both male and female athletes.
- For Relays, the top 3 teams will be receive awards.
Is there a Prize Purse?
Yes. We offer a prize purse of $5,000 USD. The prize money will be awarded to the top 5 male and female finishers overall, whether a Pro or Age Group athlete. In order to be eligible for the prize money you must start in the first wave.
The money will be allocated as follows
1st – $ 1,000
2nd – $ 750
3rd – $ 500
4th – $ 150
5th – $ 100
Why should I race in the Niagara Falls Barrelman?
Over the past 20 years we have developed a reputation as a triathlon event management company that is 100% committed to the customer/athlete. Every race must be of top quality with values and philosophies that are important to a lot of us in the sport. Every race produced by MultiSport Canada is about you the participant. The Niagara Falls Barrelman has been designed to give you an incredible race experience. We also want your friends and family to have a great time on race weekend. Here are some of the things you can expect on race weekend.
- A beautiful race course designed to give you a first class race experience
- Great volunteers
- Fun for the whole family in Niagara Falls and the surrounding area
- Well stocked aid stations
What is the Minimum Age?
Athletes must be a minimum of 18 years old as of Dec 31st, on the same calendar year as the race.
How do I know that the course will be safe?
MultiSport Canada has a reputation and history of producing safe races, designed with the athlete race experience in mind.
Are there any other fees other than the race fee?
Race Day License Fee
There will be a $10 One Day License Fee for NON TriOnt (Triathlon Ontario) members. This includes Triathlon Ontario’s $7 non-member one day insurance fee. USAT members pay $10.
For Canadian athletes that are from out of province and are members of their home Provincial Governing Bodies, you can show your Triathlon Membership Card at registration to avoid being charged.
If you wish to park near the Finish Line and shuttle bus pick-up area there is a $10 in-and-out parking pass for the the Rapidsview Parking lot located 700m from the Finish line. Your friends or family can drive to Welland to see the start and then park at the Rapidsview lot to enjoy a day at the Falls.
You can buy your $10 parking pass during online registration on on race weekend at race kit pickup.
For more information visit the Niagara Parks website.
What are the rules on wearing a wetsuit?
Wetsuits are banned if the water temperature is above 22 degrees C.
For more info see the Triathlon Canada website.
Can I wear a personal listening device during the race?
No, the Triathlon Ontario rule is that no personal listening device can be worn during the race.
Can I sign up for a triathlon relay with only 2 people?
Yes – Be sure to register one of the two people a second time during the process.
Do you rent Bikes or Wetsuits?
No we do not. At some of our events, wetsuits are available for rental but that entirely depends on which retailers are present and if they are renting or not. This information can usually be found in our pre-race report online leading into the event.
What are the Top 10 Frequently Violated Rules with corresponding Triathlon Canada Competition Rule Numbers
- Swim Caps: A competitor must wear the swim cap provided by the race organization. (6.2.1)
- Helmets:a) helmets are compulsory and must be ANSI/SNELL approved (184.108.40.206.1) and b)) chin straps must be fastened anytime the athlete is in possession of the bicycle. This means that before the bike is removed from the rack, the chin strap must be fastened and remain fastened until the bike is placed back on the racks. (220.127.116.11) and (9.1.1)
- Bicycles: Riding of bicycles in the transition zone is strictly prohibited at all times. (9.1.6)
- Assistance: Competitors may not receive assistance at any time during the race, or in the transition zone. (This excludes medical or safety assistance given by designated race volunteers or qualified staff.) (18.104.22.168)
- Drafting: Drafting of another competitor or motor vehicle is prohibited on the bike course. (22.214.171.124) The draft zone surrounding each competitor measures 5 metres X 2 metres from the front edge of the front wheel. (126.96.36.199) Competitors have 15 seconds to pass through this zone when overtaking another athlete. (188.8.131.52)
- Blocking: Cyclists should keep to the right at all times, unless passing. Alert fellow cyclists of your intention to pass by saying, “on your left”. (184.108.40.206)
- Race Course: Competitors must follow the prescribed course route in all segments of the race as defined by the race organization. (220.127.116.11)
- Race Instructions: It is the Competitor’s responsibility to read all supplied information given in the race kits, posted at the race site and listen to verbal announcements given by the Race Director and Race Officials. (4.1.3) and (4.1.4)
- Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Verbal or physical abuse of officials and race volunteers is not acceptable or tolerated. (18.104.22.168)
- Torsos: All athletes must have their torsos covered on the bike (7.1.4) and run portions (8.1.3) of the event. Bib numbers must be visible on the bike and run courses. (22.214.171.124)
What do my race fees pay for?
- A professionally run top quality race that is FUN
- Barrelman Shirt
- Finishers Hat
- Finishers Medal
- Police to close roads and give right of way at intersections
- EMS Ambulance and Staff
- Additional medical personnel including Paramedics
- Race venue fees
- Road permit fees
- Traffic control supplies such as barricades and cones
- Portable Toilets
- Truck Rentals
- Post Race Food
- Triathlon Ontario Officials
- Triathlon Ontario Sanctioning Fee
- Race Day Insurance
- Race Numbers
- Swim Caps
- Timing Company
- Race staff and crew – Pre-race and race weekend
- Accommodations for crew and staff